Fat transfer is ideal for patients who want a completely natural-looking way to augment various areas of their body including the face, chest and buttocks.
Fat transfer is also referred to as fat grafting or fat injection. The basic principle is that unwanted, excess fat is taken from one area of your body and injected into another area where an increase in volume is desired. Fat transfer is one of the many cosmetic surgical procedures offered by RinkleFree Plastic Surgery and Dermatology in Bucks County, King of Prussia and the rest of Southeastern PA that is guaranteed to give beautiful results.
Benefits of a Fat Transfer Procedure
- Totally natural – Since fat transfer uses your body’s own fat cells, the results look and feel more natural than other types of procedures, such as dermal fillers.
- Safe – By using cells from your body, there is a significantly reduced chance of an adverse reaction to the procedure. Very few patients report allergic reactions or other side effects.
- Long-lasting – The results of this procedure typically last for many years. For even better long-term results, some patients may choose to come in for multiple sessions.
- Swift recovery – While the area may feel tender for a week or so, most patients can resume normal activities within a few days of having the procedure.
Areas of Enhancement
- Face – Fat transfer is an excellent way to fill in areas on the face that are deficient in volume, such as wrinkles, creases and sunken areas. It can also be used to augment cheeks and lips for a fuller appearance.
- Breasts – If you are looking for a modest increase in breast size, you may want to consider fat transfer. It can also be used for patients who want to reconstruct their breasts following a lumpectomy from breast cancer treatment. Fat transfer can also be used to fix irregularities after receiving breast implants.
- It is important to note that fat transfer is not a good choice for patients who want a significant increase in the size of their breasts. If your breasts are sagging or are not the shape that you desire them to be, then you may want to consider other procedures.
- Buttocks – If you’re looking for rounder, fuller buttocks, fat transfer can help you achieve that look. You may require multiple sessions for your desired appearance.
Candidates for Fat Transfer
Residents of Bucks County and Montgomery County who are considering this procedure must be in reasonably good health and be free of circulatory problems. You should be a non-smoker, or at minimum agree to stop smoking for a period of time.
For this procedure, you need to have a donor site with excess fat that can be used for the transfer.
Additionally, candidates need to have realistic expectations for this procedure. While fat transfer can produce wonderful, natural results, it will not give you the same type of dramatic enhancement as an implant.
First, Dr. Shalicky or Dr. Shafran will work with you to choose an area of your body from which to remove excess fat. After making a small incision, the fat will then be removed using liposuction. Next, the fat cells will be purified and prepared to be used for the injection. Once this is complete, our doctors will prepare the site that is going to receive the fat cells and then carefully inject it using a needle or cannula until the desired effect is achieved.
Residents of King of Prussia and other areas of Montgomery County who are interested in fat transfer or laser treatment options are encouraged to contact RinkleFree Plastic Surgery and Dermatology for a consultation today.